Monday, May 4, 2015

Growing My Own Veggies This Summer

This summer, I have started on the super epic journey of growing my own vegetables.  Well, frankly, my fiance and I are doing this together.  Growing a garden is not really so much my thing, but being cheap is my thing.  We bought lots of seeds at the dollar store, some as cheap as 25 cents a pack.  Most of the seeds seem to be growing well in starter pots and they are almost ready to be planted in the yard.  This is where the real "fun" begins.

Don't get me wrong, I grew up in the suburbs, but my grandparents had a farm.  I am no stranger to farming.  However, I determined at a fairly young age it was not for me.  Having lived in the city for a long time, it is a culture shock now to live in a house in the suburbs.  Growing a garden seemed like a good idea since my fiance did it in the past, but this time, we probably got too ambitious.

Since the seeds were so cheap, we bought a lot at the dollar store and some at other stores.  Now we have a nice variety of seeds growing.  We also need to make the garden bigger.  We've begun the process, and I have found myself to be exceptionally whiny about it.  I know once everything is planted, it will be fine.  But next year, perhaps we will aim for a smaller garden.

This year, we are growing:

Cucumbers
Tomatoes
Peppers
Corn
Radishes
Watermelons
Pumpkins
Cilantro

I don't think we need to worry about the cilantro since it looks like a squirrel, or perhaps our dog, got a hold of it and it no longer exists.  I also think because we don't know what we are doing with the radishes, perhaps they are turning out so great.  But so far, everything else is good.  We are going to save so much money on vegetables this summer and perhaps not have to buy our own pumpkins in the fall.  Hooray.... I think!



No comments:

Post a Comment